Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Ready...Set...September! September 1st to 16th 2013...




September 1st was on a Sunday, so the month started quietly. After church we celebrated Labor Day with family at Hubby's dad’s house. For Labor Day itself, hubby and I hung around the house catching up on personal business.

One of the first things I needed to do was take a trip into the university. I had been borrowing a braille display for classes, but now because I wasn't enrolled they wanted the braille display back. I got a ride to the train station, rode the train down to the university. I had arranged that several of the ladies from the DRS office would meet me at the train station. When I got off, the conductor was trying to tell me something. Of course I could not hear him, and pup knew exactly how to get to the elevator. When down on the street level I met the ladies. We walked up to the campus so I could use the bathroom. And I have to say, OhMyWord! There were students everywhere. I took one of the ladies arm for sighted guide, and I could hear that they were talking, not sure if at me or not, but I could not understand a word they were saying. We came to the first street to cross, and I had no clue what was going on. Stepping on to campus was bitter sweet. Even going sighted guide it was overwhelming. I could not hear the people next to me, nor could I hear the traffic or anything. It just sounded like noise, loud disorientating noise. Those same ladies helped me back to the train station, and on to the platform. This was hard for me, because never before had I had trouble with traveling so much, or getting to my university. Even though I didn't like to admit it to myself, I knew that my decision was right at this point. I rode home on the train, trying to not show anyone I was crying. It really really humbled me to realize now what my abilities are. I also know that I can get around these abilities, these challenges, but it also doesn't make it any easier to swallow those facts. I survived, and didn't get hurt.

On Sept 6th, my SIL was moving back to PA from MN. She started her trek early in the morning and was hoping to be here Sunday or Monday. She was selling her condo, and moving back in with my FIL. We also had a Lifegroup on that night. It was awesome to fellowship with good friends. Saturday was more work around the house to get ready for the carpet to be installed. Hubby and Dad, put the new posts up, all of the painting was finished. That took them the better part of the day to get everything almost finished in the living room. It’s so different in the room now that there aren't these ugly half walls; it’s so much more open. Sunday I spent in the nursery with the babies. It was a bit hectic in the nursery as many of the babies were grumpy and crying. After church as normal we had our family lunch/dinner.

By this time the weather has cooled down during the day and at night. It’s been so beautiful out.

As predicted my SIL arrives in PA around noon on Monday September 9th. We don't see her right away, as we plan to have dinner the next night with her and FIL.

September 9th is also my brother’s birthday. He is now 28 years old.

I would have to say that my days are so completely different than what they use to be. Most days I read and crochet. Hubby will come home and ask, "Honey, how was your day? “And most of the time my response is, just reading another book, another baby blanket. I don't have much to report, and some days this bothers me, others it doesn't. Hubby never makes me feel bad for having nothing to report, it’s just more of me. Of course I do more than just read and crochet; there is cleaning, laundry and work on the computer. There are my various committees and organizations that I am a part of, that still continue to keep me busy.

Just as planned on September 10th, the four of us have dinner. A nice relaxing, quiet dinner to catch up and talk. I think we got WaWa sandwiches and ate at FIL house. We didn't get to spend a lot of time at dinner, SIL was tired and had been traveling for several days, and I was being videotaped later that night.

We got home around 7pm, and the video tapers were just driving up to our house. The video was being made for an organization called DeafCAN. The Deafblind group I am involved in is through DeafCAN. The video was made up of several DB persons, two ladies and 3 men. Some communicate by sign, some use their voices and some can't hear at all, and others can hear some. So my part was that I was going to record a little saying about myself, and how being DB affects me and how a SSP will help. Oh boy was I nervous. I think in total I talked 1 or 2 minutes. It wasn't long, but I got my point across. Once it was all over and done, I beat myself up for what I said and for what I didn't say. Oy Vey!

On September 11th, our brand new carpet was installed. It’s so pretty, and every one that comes by loves the new room.

Thursday and Friday were consumed with getting ready for our extremely busy weekend, both days including organization meetings and events.

Saturday September 14th, we had a chapter meeting in Philly. Of course this day began like every day when we go into the city; we woke up early, got ready, ate breakfast, and got a ride to the train station. Once we arrived, I heard the ending of an announcement from the station. I heard something about Doylestown and Lansdale, nothing more. So we walk up to the platform, and wait. No one else is there, its empty. We also noticed that a shuttle bus just left. So a nice lady comes up, is waiting for the train too. She finally calls her husband, and he looks up on the website that no trains are running from Doylestown to Lansdale. GREAT! Okay, we have to be in Philly in an hour, we could not have made it to Lansdale to make the next train, nor was there any shuttle busy insight. So this nice lady, who is going to Philly herself for a meeting offers a ride. We arrive at our destination alive in one piece. We offer her gas money but she will not take it. Come to find out, she is friends with one of the girls who were in guide dog class with me at GDF. We also know other people, in the guide dog circle. She is a volunteer for the SPCA. We talked about guide dogs and pets the whole way down there. I was in shock that we had mutual friends, and how small of a world it was feeling like. God was really watching over us that day, as if she had not been there, we would not have gotten down into center city.

Saturday was a very very long day. So we had our chapter meeting, the normal board meeting part. But then after the meeting, some of the parents and children from the BELL program came to the meeting, and we ordered pizza. After the pizza, the parents, children and a few chapter members went to the Liberty Bell for a tour. Hubby and I caught a train with several others up to the president’s house. The president of this organizations house. For 6 hours hubby and the president, his wife and the 1st vice president went over treasury records. Oh boy how fun! By the time they were done, it was dark and late, so from there we went out to eat at one of our favorite Italian restaurants. Hubby and I got home at 10pm, and went right to bed.

And if I weren't tired just from Saturday, Sunday was packed too. Sunday we were going to be making balloon animals for the Westchester Restaurant festival to raise money for the chapter out there. We arrived shortly after 11am, when there was no one yet there. Before noon, hubby and I were already busy making balloons. We only sat down for 15 minutes for lunch, but the rest of the time we were making animals. The awesome thing was that I never broke a sweat, I wasn't hot or cold, and it was a perfect temperature, perfect weather. I can't say for hubby, but I probably made an upwards of 200 balloons, in all different shapes and sizes. Hubby and I wear aprons loaded with our balloons; they are loaded in a way that we know where each color and size of balloon is. We had loaded the balloons a few days before, but there were several colors that I ran out of, and I know hubby did too. We load the aprons with several hundred balloons for an event like this. The festival didn't seem to be as busy, but we brought in the donations. I just made balloons; I didn't actually talk to the kids or parents. Even if I had, I could not hear them. It was also cool to hang out with other people from that chapter. Being on our feet for that long wasn't cool, but we did have fun.

As much as I wish I could say that the rest of September would not be as busy, it is...Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment