Saturday, September 29, 2012

First day in harness!


 

As normal the day began at 6am. I thought at the time I slept well, but will later realize I did not. The bed I am in, is a full or double, it’s fairly comfortable. And have heard from other students that their beds are not comfortable at all. I probably didn’t sleep well on this night because I was nervous, anxious, and a bit stressed about the harness walk, the first harness walk. I probably won’t be mentioning what I have for breakfast, as its turning out to be the same thing every morning. I have an egg allergy, if I haven’t mentioned it before, so my options are limited. Before going to “break” I was ready to go for the morning. On this day it was raining off and on. We left right at 8am. We all loaded up on a bus, that cans hold12 people, and goes. There is extra room in-between the rows for the dogs. We were taken to a nature trail that is on the out skirts of a bird area. It was also supposed to be the grounds of a mental hospital back in the day. Not sure how long ago that way. We all joked that our instructors were taking us to the funny farm. LOL

 

I took my laptop with us, because I had hoped to get some school work done. This did not happen. It’s really nice, because everyone is very nice about my school work, motivating, and being supportive about me. They usually ask what my papers are about, what the chapters are about. It’s hard for me to be here while in the middle of my semester, but also nice to have such a supportive class of students and instructors. In the morning I went first. So I put the body part of the harness on, and then as we were walking my instructor was watching to see what sort of fit the handle would need to be. We started at a 17, and then went to a 16. I started off; it was very scary for me at first. I thought my heart was going to come out of my chest. The path was very flat in the beginning, but sort of rough in the end. Pup did well, but it felt strange for me. Emma had a smooth gate, Missy has a different gate. I can certainly tell when Missy turns her head, so to tell her to “leave it”. My instructor was happy to see that. I started that right away, and she said that they usually have to teach students that in the beginning. The path was about 1 and half miles around. In the morning we got sprinkled on. Other students that went out after I did got poured on by the rain. One of the instructors is from Britain, so he likes the rainy weather. I did not want my hearing aids to get wet. Missy likes to air sniff, so I have to remind her not to, and to move on.

 

Other commands that are different from other schools are the “straight”, the “find the way” commands. “Straight” means just that. And “find the way” means there is a path, let’s take that one. Usually the “find the way” command is proceeded y a “right” or “left” command.  

 

We went back to the school for lunch. My pup is starting to work out her “break” or potty schedule. It is different that none of the other students are touching their dogs after they do their thing. I have been able to touch Missy and tell what she is doing. Other schools teach this right off the bat. It is important for me to touch my pup because I can’t hear that they are pooping or pee’ing. Right now the instructors are cleaning up after us. As I said by the time the afternoon came around I was already exhausted.

 

We went back out to the same location as in the morning. And still it was raining. The students that went out first got rained on. I went out last this turn, but did not get rained on, and even the sun came out. While I waited I finished up a paper, which was an accomplishment all in itself.  On my turn out, the school across the street was letting out. So I was told that there were lots of cars. I could hear the school buses, but not the cars. I used my support cane on this walk, as my legs were feeling a bit weak, and I was tired, thus I was a bit dizzy. Again Missy air sniffed, but I was able to control her with my voice. There was a part of the path that had really high grass, and there was a certain little Missy pup that was trying to grab blades of grass and eat them. She was also watching all the wild life. Like squirrels, birds and bugs. It was a better walk than the morning. In the part of the path that leveled off and was flat, I was able to pick up pace. I do love the speed variability with Missy. By the time I got back to the buss, I was extremely tired, and hot. It was humid out on this afternoon.

 

And yet back to the campus for “break”, feed and water for the pups. Dinner was yet again good. On this day, tomorrow, and Sunday there is a lady cook. Again fabulous food. We had meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and carrots.

 

After dinner was our lecture of grooming. I had no issues with this, as I have had two other dogs. It’s more of getting the pup use to the brushes, the combs and of your touch. I went down to the groom room, which a big room that has benches so you don’t have to lean over the dog. After wards I went back to my room, and participated in bible study that hubby was at. I was able to facetime with them for a few minutes so they could see the pup. But it did not last long as the wireless network kicked me off. I thought it might have had to do with the storms we were getting at the time, but I later do not.

 

After “breaking” for the last time. I again tried to work on school work, but was too tired. I fell asleep at 10pm.

 

Overall it was a great day, tiring, but well. In total I walked 3 miles, phew!

 

More later today, as I am writing this on Saturday morning before my lesson. Until next time….

No comments:

Post a Comment