Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day Number One with my new Partner (October 15, 2012)

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was so tired the night before that I don’t remember much. It was so incredibly wonderful to be back in my own bed. As most of the mornings before this one started early, at 6am. Missy slept well, as when I was ready to take her off the tie down she was “thumping” her tail and giving me lots of kisses. Another luxury that I had so missed while away is breakfasts with my hubby. The schools food was great, awesome, and I do miss it. But my Hubby makes great toast with peanut butter and banana. Yum! Missy had no issues relieving on this morning. The only bad part is that it was raining. My SIL took us to the train station and we were off.

I have to remember that Missy doesn’t know everything. So getting on the train was a bit stressful. Of course there are those wonderful helpful sighted folks everywhere, and perhaps I was a little short fused because I was tired. I let them, the sighted people, think they are helping. There is no use in arguing, or hurting their feelings. It’s nice, but I use the train a lot and get on at this stop at least 2 to 3 times a week. So when we got on the train, Missy was great at finding the door, and we found a seat. Now the stressful part was trying to get her into the under seat space. Her harness got stuck, and the train was already moving, and then there were so many wonderful things to sniff. In the end we worked it all out, she got situated under the seat, fell right asleep, stopped sniffing and I relaxed. I guess you could say I relaxed enough that I took a short nap, I was so so so so tired.  Once at our stop we got off no issues what so ever. I had to wait a little bit for my O&M instructor, but she then met us up on the platform.

We made our way to the elevator. Once on the ground level we take a right and walk several blocks to the campus. Now let me say for all those who do not live in Philadelphia, the university campus is in a very urban location. Most of the area around the campus is not safe, and can be a little dangerous. On our way we have to cross two major streets and one Side Street. The sidewalk is also very broken up and uneven. Missy was very calm and not excited at all, considering we were in a new area. It’s like she had been there before. Once on campus we stopped at the first building for the bathrooms. This is the first and last building you come to on campus. We had to find a ramp, and stairs, doors and navigate around tons of students. Missy did all of this like a pro. From there we were on our way. Walking through Anderson and Glatfelter, at least I think that is its name. Past the food venders, across the street to the bell tower court yard, past the bell tower, and then a left at the library. And then on to my building with all of my classes. At every up curb or down curb, I would give a pat, praise, and a treat. Once at the building I go into I targeted her to the door I use, with another treat. The treats I am giving her are just her normal kibble. Once inside the building, we sat down and talked for a while. At this time of the morning there were students everywhere, so her ability to navigate through them is very good. It’s also cute to feel her head go back and forth, from left to right, to decide which is the better way to go.

After relaxing and talking to my O&M instructor for a bit, we headed up to the 5th floor where 3 out of the 5 classes are. So we have to navigate through several hall ways and get to the elevator. Found those with no issues what so ever. Up on the fifth floor, I had my instructor guide me to a classroom. Name it as such; go back to the elevators by sighted guide. And then have Missy find the classroom. At each time she found the classroom or elevator I would pat, praise, and treat. We did this for two classrooms and then the bathroom. One very interesting thing, Missy is able to generalize. This means that she can find anything because it is that thing. For example in this lesson, there are 4 elevators. Each time we came back into the area with the elevators she found one, not just the same each time. I gave the classrooms the same name but would point into the general direction, and she could find the right one I was speaking about. If I tell her to find a seat, she finds a seat. Not the same one we have sat in before. The reason I say this is interesting is, with Emma, if I said for her to find an elevator, she would find the same one every single time. I tried to work on her finding elevators, but in the long run, she never truly got it. It was the same with seats, trash cans, or anything I gave a name to.

Another cool little trick, I had never been taught to do at any other school, until now. Is in bathrooms, to find “stalls”, to “find the sink or counter”. And if I am at a regular sized stall that could be big enough or perhaps not big enough, on how to get me and Missy inside. Don’t get me wrong all of the other schools, gave us suggestions on how to teach this, but this is the first school where an instructor, because she was also a female, taught this from the beginning. I did teach Emma to do this, but at times it was difficult. So what happens, I put Missy on a long leash, go into the stall, still holding on to the leash. Close the door, making sure the leash goes under the door, lock the door, and then give Missy the “under” command. She sorts of scoots on her tummy under the door. I personally think this is cool. It’s not that I don’t trust my pup outside of the stall, its everyone else I do not trust. Getting out of the stall is not usually an issue. Again I think it helped that I had a female instructor.

After finding all the class rooms on the 5th floor, we found my economics classroom. This is a bit trickier because it’s a small building, that is much more crowded, with students sitting on the floor, against the wall. So not only do we have to navigate people walking but people sitting along the wall. Oy Vey! I didn’t get to work in this building as much because of all the students in the way or around. I don’t see it as hard to find as the others too.

I also targeted Missy to several bathrooms, to the café, to other outside doors, and to several offices. One in particular office has a statue next to the door. Missy didn’t like that statue at all. I was able to finally get her to ignore it but she kept on looking at it. The hardest part of working her down at my university is where will I relieve her, if she needs to go potty. This will have to be worked out, as we didn’t really find any good place.

We made our way back to the train with no issues. Again at every curb a pat, praise and a treat. The sad fact is that I thought there were a lot of students out when we made our way to my classes, but it was around lunch time, so there were even more out. We made our way up to the train platform and waited for our train home. By this time it was pouring. Getting back on the train was not nearly as stressful. Again we had a bit of trouble getting her under the seat, but yet again she settled down, and fell asleep right away. Not only was Missy tired, but I took another nap on the train.  

Once at my home train station, SIL picked me up. It was cold, dreary, and rainy. I got home, got the Missy girl settled, broken, and I ate lunch. After lunch I laid down for a nap, and I didn’t get up until 7pm for dinner. I was tired. Hubby was tired too; guess all of those nights not sleeping well both caught up to us.

More tomorrow…..

No comments:

Post a Comment