Thursday, October 11, 2012

queens NY October 10th 2012


 

On this particular morning we all boarded vans, one for my instructor and her students and another for the other instructor and his students. We headed into Queens; you know the suburban area of NYC. If we want to be specific, we were in Flushing NY. The day weather was totally depressing, rainy and cold. It would have normally taken us 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there, but because of the rain and the traffic, we were delayed into 2 hours.

 

When we arrived, our instructors did not park the vans where they normally do, so we had to be across the parking lot from each other. Everyone broke their dogs, and then walked around to the Sheraton hotel.

 

From what our instructors said that in the past the Sheraton would donate a room for the students to sit in, to be comfortable and to use the bathroom. But now they want $500 for a room. The foundation is not going to pay for that, it’s not because they don’t have the money but it’s outrageous.

 

So we all used the bathrooms, and then went back out to wait in the vans. On this particular morning I got the opportunity to go first.

 

We first worked on revolving doors, which I try to avoid. Then we went down to the subway. And then we got to the turn styles. Missy did well with both. The subway was there waiting for us, as this was the first station. When we got on all the seats were open. Once we got the stop we wanted, we got off. We were at the Shay stadium stop. I took a picture with the stadium and I standing in front of it. We then had to cross over to the other side of the trains. Through a few tunnels, steps, and a ramp. We made it. On the way back waiting at the station, they took another picture with me in front of the World’s. 63rd Fair globe in front. It was not busy riding the subway one way and then another.

 

From the subway station we took a several block walk. I was told that this area was primarily Asian. On the way back to the van, Missy had an accident in the middle of the street. But then as soon as we crossed, there was the Dirty Dawg hot dog stand. My instructor treated me to a dawg. On my dawg, I had mustard, ketchup, and onions and sour croute. It was good but not something I want all day every day. It took my lesson about 2 hours. Then my instructor still had to take the other two students. While in the van after my lesson I took a nap and read some of the chapter I am on. We headed back to the school at 2:30; we didn’t get back until 4pm.

 

Hubby got a call about a nice family that is interested in taking Emma, my retired guide. They live out in Upper Black Eddie; have 15 acres, two kids, and lots of other animals. They took to her very quickly. They are going to take her for a trial run this weekend when hubby and family come and get me. Hubby’s sister was there too to gage the family from a visual perspective. I trust their judgment; it’s just hard for me to think that I won’t have my Emma girl around. I can go and see her; it’s just a part of the grieving / retirement stage.

 

One of the cooks made for me specially, banana chocolate chip bread with eggs! It was delicious. In the evening we had our ADA lecture. ADA is the Americans with Disabilities Act. This was put into law in 1990 to help protect the rights of those who live with a disability. Even though we are in the year 2012, persons with disabilities, and those who use services animals still have to fight for our rights every single day. Yes we can go into business, restaurants, buildings, hospitals. But when you get in there, for example a restaurant, is the menu in an accessible format that as a blind person I can read? Nope. When I go to the doctors, none of the forms are electronic. When I go to the grocery store I have to have some helped me and it depends on the day, person and store, if those services will be good or bad. Or if I as a disabled person is out in the world, am I treated like a human and not like a poor helpless blind person? Nope. Every single day of my life is educating for me and other blind people. As a college student, I have to start working weeks in advance to get my textbooks in an accessible format. Please don’t get me wrong, I am NOT asking for the world to bow down to me, to give me everything I want or need, to support me, but I do expect to be able to live just as everyone else does, to read the same things in the same matter, go to school, get a job and do what I want with my career. My point was that even if we have the ADA, persons with disabilities; still have a long way to go to being equal. 

 

The bad part of the last few days, I am now behind in my school work. We have been so busy, not in a place where I can work, limited on the amount of time, or I have been so tired, there is just not enough time. Thus why it has taken me several days to write and post this. Sorry to all of my readers out there.

 

Until next time…..

No comments:

Post a Comment