Thursday, October 11, 2012

Queens times two!


 

On this morning, I and another student were treated to another trip into Queens. Because we use the subway on a regular basis the school thought it was best for us to have another day in the city. This morning was cold but beautiful, sunny and blue skies. The high temperature was supposed to be 69, but I doubt it got that warm. When we arrived in the city, it was freezing. I didn’t make the best clothes, ore decisions this morning. But luckly by the time we started to walk, I warmed up a little. We again parked in the same lot, walked over to the Sheraton hotel, used the bathrooms, and then worked through the hotel to the street. We took the same route to the subway. On this morning it was a bit more crowded, as it was earlier, and as if it could be more crowded than the day before. Half way through the block my FM system batteries died, so we stopped quickly so I could replace them.

 

We got to the station and found the train we wanted. I did notice something, that Missy can follow commands like “find the turn style”, “find the stairs” or more specifically the up or down stairs, and “find the gate” the gate you use to go through fro the subway. There are a few other commands I was surprised that she could find or knew. Like for example, another command Missy knows is for in the women’s bathroom, to “find the stall” and “find the sink”. This one will come in so handy.

 

Our ride to the station we turn around at was fairly uneventful for the exception that the train car tried to close on me, the doors. The gentlemen who was with us, had gotten off, and I was at the door, with one foot out the door, looking around for the edge. And then the door made a little chimy noisey and it was closing on me. I blocked it on my right side with my arm, now its sore. And my instructor blocked it on the left. She had been helping the other student, and just turned around when the door started to close. Missy was not hurt, but I was scared. The subeway trains I ride, the doors do not close that fast or that hard. The ride back to our original station was completely uneventufl. Once there we walked a similar route back to the van as we had done the day before. Missy on this day was not sick and had done her business at our early morning break time. Overall, I feell like we can do city work, she can weave in and out of lots of people, and can ride the subways no problem. I would venture to say that part of Queens was way more busy than hwere I travel in Philly. But it’s good to travel in crowded areas; it keeps your dog on their toes.  

 

We headed back to the school at 10:30am, and arrived at 12. We broke and water our dogs, and then went to lunch ourselves. Like I said it was only me, one other student, and an instructor. This is our last lunch and day with the male cook. I’ll miss his good cooking, and all of the attention he gave to my egg allergy.

 

Once lunch was consumed, another student and I went out to free run our dogs. They had a great time. Then I was shown, how to get my pup and I into a car and mini-van. Very simple, especially since I did with my previous guide. It is similar methods in how the Test teaches it. At 2, we had our vet lecture with the vet herself. This is where we got to know the weights of our dogs. Missy is 70 pounds and perhaps a bit more. They were weighting them by an instructor getting on the scale holding the dog in their arms. We also got to know our dog’s birthday and siblings and family. So Missy was born October 21st 2010. And her siblings are in class here with us. There are three other siblings, none with the similar name. 2 of the siblings live in my area in Doylestown, how strange and spooky is that?! Our pup’s mom is Jessie and father is Kerby. After that I went on a short walk with the person filming me for celebration Sunday. Then free time for a bit.

 

I am so behind in my school work.

 

Tonight’s lecture was more on vet issues. Like for example what to do if your dog eats a poison plant? What if this or that happens to your dog? The theme is to call your vet if in doubt.

 

Overall it was a good day. As normal lately I am exhausted. When I get home, I am taking a day, doing nothing, and sleeping all day. Of course I’ll take Missy out, but I need to seriously catch up on my sleep.

 

Until tomorrow….

No comments:

Post a Comment