Saturday, October 6, 2012

What a day!


October 6th 2012 

 

The day began normal. We were doing train platforms in the morning. I went first. This was an isle platform, which means there is train tracks on both side of the platform. We had to go up 3 flights of stairs, and then back down 3 flights of stairs. It was tiring, because they were uneven and steep. But this gave Missy a good chance to work on our balance with stairs. By the end we had it all worked out. Once on the platform, the dog is trained to go right. It was drilled into our head that we always, always, always put the dog between us and the edge of the platform. For me when I am riding the train especially at Temple. I would walk along the left outbound track, walk however far down is needed and then cross over to my right. The dogs when told forward on the edge will not go forward. It’s called self-preservation LOL I tried out this, not because I wanted to see if she would actually go, but to see that she would not actually go. It was a pretty short lesson; afterwards I hung out in Duncan Donuts. There was another student here that I talked to for a while. But then I started to feel bad. So I headed back to the bus. In route to the bus, I knew something was wrong. I was coughing and wheezing. I had to go to the bathroom on the bus, but Missy would not go on to the tie down. So I did my thing, and then came out. I sat down and had a full blown out asthma attack. It was very embarrassing. Luckily I had my inhalers with me. But I think after all I over dosed on them. I was after a while able to get it until control, but I really was scared. We left shortly after I got back to the bus; I don’t remember much of what was done, said, or who was there. By the time we got back to the campus I was extremely incredibly exhausted. When we got back, one of the instructors broke my pup. And he said that she did not want to go with him. I did not go to lunch, but took a tow hour nap.

 

With all that was going on with me, one of the other students had a death in her family. While out for our morning lesson, she got a call that her daughter was in ICU in Houston Texas. The daughter had been down there for a conference. And got sick. I originally had heard about this when on the bus in the morning, but I was already not feeling well. So when we first heard about her daughter, she was crucial but able to breathe on her own and her vital signs were normal. After my nap, they were going to fly from here, Long Island, out to Texas to be with her. Then around 3:30pm, my class mate found out that her daughter had passed away. This student and I had grown very close and were friends. When she found out, she was very upset and called for me. I stayed with her for a good while until her family made it to the school. There were several of us students that were by her side. She was extremely upset, which of course was understandable. Her daughter was almost 24 years old. And the daughter had been here the weekend before. It was sad. I am glad that she came to me for this. She is a believer, the student. She was questioning why would this happen, why would God take away her daughter, why now. I just kept telling her that we don’t know, that she is in a better place, and God is taking care of her daughter now. Her daughter is no longer in pain or suffering. In that moment I let her cry, yell, hold my hand, hug her, and just sat with her. She and her family left soon afterwards. I can’t even imagine what the family is going through right now. So I ask if you are a believer, or if you’re not. Please send this family your thoughts, your prayers, and positive thoughts. I won’t say the students name here, as I was to keep her privacy, but know she is a class mate of mine here during class. Also because I am a believer in God, I am going to write out a prayer, so if you’re not a believer, and do not want to read that part of my blog, please do skip over it. I would not normally write something like this for all to read, but this is one of those situations, I feel it’s needed. It was an extremely emotionally time for me too. So this is my debriefing. I didn’t cry when I was with my friend, but I did afterwards. Maybe that will make a bad social worker, but it made me think about my loved ones. It’s something you should be saying to your loved ones every day, all of the time, and not just in words, but in actions. I love you! Tell them, show them, make them know; understand, because one day, they will be gone. So here is my prayer:

 

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for this day. Thank you for keeping me well and bring me through such an emotional day. Thank you for all of my loved ones, near and far. Please watch over them, keep them safe, and let them know that they are loved by you and me.

Please watch over my friend, over her family in this hard time. You took my friends daughter home today. Love her in only the way you know how. Help the family heal from the hurt and pain of her passing. Help them understand why the daughter had to go home to you. Help the hurt and the anger of the events to be lessoned each and every single day. Hold my friend and her family in your hand.

Again thank you for this day, all of the wonderful and bad things in it.

In your name, Amen!

 

For dinner we had hot dogs and chips. One of the students ordered pizzas. So I had a few pieces. Missy is currently sleeping. After my nap, I went out to the free run area, to let Missy let off some energy. We took a Kong out there. Missy just ran, and ran, and ran, and ran, and ran, and ran. I threw the Kong for her several times and she would go after it. Most of the time she would bring it back. We also worked on some recall exercises. Missy was tired afterwards, but it did her a world of good. Every time she would bring me back the Kong, she would give me licks, so by the end of the play time I was covered in dog yuck. LOL

 

Also while I was with my friend, one of the instructors broke Missy again. And yet again she would not eat, drink or break for the instructors. It’s funny because they told me I guess she is bonded with me. I love my Missy girl.

 

I had hoped that I would get some school work done today, but as you can see that did not happen. I had this 60 some odd page chapter I should be reading, and yes its boring as I’ll get out, I should read it.

 

That was my day, I hope tomorrow will be less eventful. I do feel sorry for the instructors though, I thought it was hard on us; it was also hard on them too. We are down to 7 students. It will definitely feel strange without my friend here. She sat at my table in the dining room. That is also why I got to know her so well, is because we talked every day three times a day. The class as a whole is very somber.

 

Until tomorrow…..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment