Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Last Day of Training & Celebration Sunday (October 14, 2012)

My last morning of training, official training, began as it had for the last 3 weeks. Wake at 6am. Feed, water and break the Missy girl at 7am. Breakfast for me at 7:30am. And then we met at 8:30am. On this morning it was hard, very hard to get up. I didn't get to sleep the night before until midnight, and then did not sleep well. I kept on thinking I was going to over sleep my alarm why I would think this, considering I haven't done so the entire 3 weeks, is beyond me. I did a lot of tossing and turning. Every chance I got I was packing. At 8:30am, we all met in the leather lounge, to watch a video about going home. Funny enough I saw this same video at TSE, and this video is from TSE. I didn't mention this before, but when we had our ADA lecture; we watched two videos that the TSE have let the GDF school show for lectures. I love that in the video, it makes the TSE dogs like "super dogs", and they can do no wrong, and are perfect. No guide dog no matter from what school are perfect all of the time. Are dogs are awesome, cute and very smart, but not perfect. After our video, we had about an hour for more packing. By this time I was 99percent packed. At 10:15, we met again for the last time in the leather lounge for our going home lecture. We received our puppy/grad notebooks. Our dog's information, including tags, and signed our ownership or custody forms.
I don't have a rabies tag because apparently Missy was given the shot in VA in February. I have a letter but no tag, so this means I have to call the Vet down there and see if they can send me a tag.
We broke our pups quickly and then my family was there at 11:30am. We left campus without the pup to get lunch. And then back to campus so I could change, and for the celebration. Hubby, FIL, and SIL all came up to partake in the celebration.
At 1pm, I was seated at a table. My puppy raisers came over to talk. 4 members of Missy's puppy raisers came, a Mom, Dad, and two kids. Right off, we talked easily. Pup recognized them, and started giving them kisses. Overall she behaved very well. The family took lots of pictures of Missy.
Around 2pm, there was a presentation with video of all the graduates and pups walking out in the community. We were all served cake and drinks, and continued to talk. It was really cool to talk about Missy when she was a baby, her behaviors, and to know that her family loved her so much. And now she loves me because of that. It was hard not to cry. Around 3, we took more pictures outside. I allowed Missy to say goodbye, and I know this was very hard for the family. I am hoping we can stay in touch. It's really cool how a family can be brought together by a special puppy.
By this time I only had a few last things to throw in my backpack. Missy was very anxious, but this is to be normal. I am sure she could feel the impending change. We, all of the students, gathered in the "gathering room" and gave our instructors their presents. We all pitched in money and got them gift cards. This was the least that we could do for them. If my instructor ever reads this, I say this from the bottom of my heart; you're the best instructor ever! And Thank you for what you do. By this time the family had the car all loaded, and we were ready to go. It felt strange getting in the car with my Missy, and no instructor. I thought there would be more of a formal goodbye, but it was casual.
We got on the road around 4pm. Shortly after driving for a while, Missy got comfortable and was out cold asleep. She was sawing logs, just curled up in the floor of the back seat. We had planned to stop at some point and eat. And just before we got to the Outback in Brooklyn, I fell asleep. We stopped for dinner. It was an interesting dinner. My first with Missy. My first without an instructor. The restaurant had a ton of people in it, and was quite noisy with sports fans. We were seated at a booth, and I was able to back Missy up under the table. She was totally not in the way at all. She actually went to sleep and again sawed more of those logs. She only woke up when the sports fans yelled out. It was a delicious dinner. And I was proud that my Missy girl was so well behaved.
We got back on the road, after it had turned dark, but only after an hour and half, made it home. By the time we got home I was extremely exhausted. I actually do not remember much about that night. I do know we arranged for Missy to be tie down in our bedroom, on her brand new doggie bed. I think that first night I took her out to "break" she did not relieve herself, but I wasn't too worried about that.
Let's just say I slept like a log myself. Tomorrow I am schedule to go into my university and work with my O&M person to learn the campus and how to get to my classes.
Until tomorrow….

No comments:

Post a Comment