Monday, October 29, 2012

Preparing for Sandy, the Hurricane! October 27th and 28th, 2012


 

Saturday was pretty normal for a Saturday. We got up at 8am, had a delicious breakfast of oatmeal, bacon, and bagels with cream cheese. After breakfast we started to work on convention items and school work for me. The day was gloomy again, no sun at all. Hubby was fairly productive, me a little less than he. By this time in the weekend we had been hearing reports that the East coast would be hit with a hurricane, Sandy. But of course no one knows how hard or where it will even land. It’s so awesome, not, how the TV and radio so totally scare people. It’s the storm of the year, of the century, of the decade. We did take a few preparations, nothing major but like got more water, and clean-up the deck, and secured all the stuff out there. Even though hubby and I were busy with our own items, it was nice to be with him. By the end of the day I was emotionally drained, tired, and just wanted to pull the covers over my head in bed and stay there.

 

Sunday, was normal for a Sunday. We woke up early at like 7:30am. Got ready for church. And left for church around 9:20am, for the 9:30am service. Our senior Pastor was not there, so one of the associates gave the sermon. We got a ride to church from neighbors, but I still took Missy in harness. People are still asking her name, but my response is still, “I am sorry I can’t tell you.” Usually people are nice about it, but some are like, “well I deserve to know your dogs name!”.  After church we headed home. I started laundry, and hubby worked on a resolution for convention. At 1:30pm, we got picked up by my FIL to go and see Emma.

 

It takes us about 40minutes to get up there. Again it was a gloomy dreary day, no sun *sad face* Once we got up to Upper Black Eddie, we had to wait for my BIL to arrive. I left Missy in a folding crate in my BIL’s living room. The house of the family who has Emma is a few minutes drive down from his.

 

We were greeted at the door by Emma and her new family. They are such a great family, two kids, two boys in fact. Nice home. She, Emma is so happy. And they love her to death. The oldest son is trying to get Emma to retrieve toys. I told him how it might work. So he tried it, and she did exactly what he had been wanting. Every once in a while Emma would make her rounds to see everyone. She definitely remembered me, and would come to me first. I could tell that she was torn now between her new mom and me, her old mom. She was so calm there, instead of being stressed out. She smelled like my Emma girl. And it was amazing to see how much smaller she is compared to my new puppy. Emma’s new mom and dad spent some time with us; it was good to get to know them. It’s a really awesome family, who love Emma, who love pets and animals, and who I know will take care of her. But it was very hard for me to say goodbye. She didn’t quite understand what was going on. I told myself I would not cry, but I did. I could not hold it in. I love my Emma girl, and she deserves to be a dog now, after her hard work for me, she serves it, but it hurts. I didn’t realize how hard it would be. My instinct was to run back into the house and get her back, she’ll never work again, and she is not my dog anymore. My house even still smells like her, even though I have been home with Missy for 2 weeks now. My heart hurts so much for my Emma girl. The family has said that we can come up and see her anytime we want, that they will bring her down to me to see. I needed today, I needed that closure. I know she is well, loved, and taken care of. In some time after my heart has healed, I’ll see her again. By then, she will have forgotten all about me. Even thinking and writing about this now, I could cry.

 

Just because this is therapeutic for me, I need to write this.

 

I love you Emma. You were a special girl to me. Given to me on my birthday, and the best present to that point. You were there in a time of my life, when I had no one else. You loved me in the good and bad times, in the dark and light times. In three different states. You kept me well, safe and happy. You were a good worker. And I am forever grateful thankful for all that you did for me, to keep me safe, and in one piece. Thank you for your love. But now it’s time for you to love another family. Be free, run, jump, and have fun. Do all the things that normal dogs get to do, and more. Have fun with your little people too, keep them safe, and be good. Follow your new mom’s instruction, no accidents in the house, no eating shoes. Love them like you did me. You’re a very special animal to me, you always will be. Thank you!

 

After my tearful goodbye to Emma, we went back to BIL’s house and just hung out. We decided to go to eat at a restaurant called the Ship Inn. It’s in New Jersey and let’s say they have the best Mac-n-Cheese ever. OMG it was out of this world delicious. A good friends of BIL’s came along to dinner. We headed for home around 7pm. When we left the restaurant, it was sprinkling out. By the time we got home it was still raining but windier.

 

When we got home, we had some more convention items to get accomplished. I had a guide dog conference call to attend.  We could hear the wind blowing in the basement, as they said on the radio the winds were already up to 40mph. It still was not raining much. Thankfully we on Sunday evening still have power. And let’s hope we continue to, as both hubby and I are worried about the basement flooding. Our office, audio, music, and tv viewing equipement is all in the basement. We are planning on taking some items up, just to be on the safe side, but it still worries us.

 

We were in bed at 11pm. Another one of those nights were I don’t remember going to bed. It was a short weekend, too short. I could use some more quality time with my husband, but I’ll take what I can get. Oh yeah can’t forget about this, because of the storm, Sandy, my university has cancelled classes for the next two days. Woo Hoo! Well this is good and bad, I am suppose to have a group presentation on Thursday, but now we haven’t been able to meet. All of the universities, colleges, schools, and most of the business have closed down. The government offices are closed, as we have a friend who works in the OVR office. All of the public transportation has stopped too. Over 1000 flights have been cancelled for just today. And they are expecting more for tomorrow.  

 

More tomorrow……

No comments:

Post a Comment