Friday, October 19, 2012

The Day We Were Suppose to Come Home (October 19, 2012)

Friday, this is the day my class was supposed to be over on. I was supposed to come home on this day. But instead I have been home for 4 days now. The weather on this day matches my mood; it’s dreary, and rainy. I don’t have much to be down or sad about, but it’s more that I am tired. Coming home from guide dog school, with a new guide, with all of my school work, its overwhelming. Coming home with a new guide, it’s like coming home with a new baby. Where ever I go, she goes. Whatever I do, she does. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind doing all of the getting use to each other stuff, but it’s tiring. I will say that I love my labby girl, and I love waking up to her tail wagging because she is happy. I will say that I feel better than I have a in the past few days, this is partly due to the amount of sleep I got last night, which apparently I needed.

Hubby went to work as usual. I started off answering emails and starting on some school work. I didn’t get far when, the field rep from the school called to say he would be in area at 11:30am. So I rushed off to get ready, dressed and all together.

He arrived right at 11:30am. We talked for a good while, about class, about my new pup, about guide dog schools, and so on. Around noon we took a walk to my church. Remember the route that didn’t go so well a few days ago. The curbs we get to first, she misses, but then we re-work it, and she gets it right away. On to the broken up sidewalk, she does fine. To the fire hydrant and she clears me just fine. To crossing the street, and again great. It’s like we had been doing this route for years. After crossing, on to our country work. And yet again wonderful.

One discovery is that Missy does not like to walk on leaves when they are dry and crunchy. But if they are wet, no biggie at all. So we cross the street we are walking along, she finds the curbs no problems. Then we walk into the parking lot no issues. We get to our right hand country walk, no issues; we get to the church, no issues. The field rep was like, what did you need help with. I said it wasn’t the going route that was the issue; it was the going back route that gave us trouble. We head back; she got all the curbs, went around all the obstacles, hugged the left hand side or the road, cleared the fire hydrant, and made it home well. I was proud but miffed that when the instructor is here, she did well. Oh well! We set up a time tomorrow to take the train into my university and walk around. The field rep has to work with the other students who were in my class who have dogs who are related to mine. My lesson with the field rep last about an hour and half. By the time I got home I was soaked, as it was like 100percent humidity.

After I got home. I ate a quick and simple lunch, and then got to work on answering emails from the morning, and school work. Around 3ish, I fell asleep in front of my computer again. LOL It was only for a short period of time. Soon after hubby came home. For dinner we had Pizza and Popcorn, I know not healthy, but very yummy. During dinner we also listened to the ending of “The diary of a Wimpy kid” movie. We started it a few nights ago. We watched, or rather listened to it. There is a service out there where we get movies in a DVS format. DVS means Described Video Services, in other words, anything that happens action wise, is verbally described in a narrative voice. They try not to speak over the actor’s voices, so this means they could be describing the action before it happens, or after it happens. It’s a little hard to get used to, but it helps us, the blind, know what is going on the screen. When I say there is a service, I mean there is a website that will allow us to download them for free. It’s not the regular movie; it’s just the audio, no picture. Hubby and I put it on an MP3 player and listen. We have watched other shows like NCIS. Not everything is offered in a DVS format, but some movies and now series are. A person who also has been blind for a while can also learn to pick up on what is going on with the action, not to say that it’s the easiest.

Ok, back on track, now we are working on school work, and other things.

Until tomorrow….

No comments:

Post a Comment